Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Tribute: Papa


Tuesday's Tribute

Today I pay tribute to a very special person: my Papa - my girls' Grandpapa.

Today would be his 86th birthday.  Today I would have called him he would answer "Howdy" and I would have wished him a happy day, the girls would have sang.  I would ask him how he was doing and he would say "I'm up!" We would laugh and I would tell him how good that was. We would talk about the weather, he would ask me about the little ones, the ranch, and about the Hubs. Yep that is what I would normally do on this day.  Instead today I am writing a tribute, sending a birthday wish with a blow of a kiss to the heavens,  planting a rose bush with the girls,because that was his favorite flower, and making a birdhouse because he liked to watch the birds.

My Papa was a kind hearted man who talked to everyone and left a long lasting mark on anyone who knew him. He loved babies and kids especially his great grandchildren.  One of his favorite things was to walk through Babies R' Us, talking to all the little kids and babies.  He would strike up a conversation by asking about there shoes.  Have you ever noticed that kids like to show off there shoes?  They do and he knew it - got them talking every time.   He was one of the funniest guys I knew - he always made me laugh.  He could also make me blush- he got a kick out of that.  He was loved by so many.  He was one of  a kind and I miss him so.  

Papa left us in October on a day that will forever be etched in my mind.  I can no longer reach him on the phone but I  feel him in my heart. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him and what he meant to our family.  My oldest misses him too and has been looking forward to today for weeks.  It is marked on her calendar and she has reminded me everyday this week that today is his birthday and the day we "plant roses for Grandpapa. " 

So today we will plant the roses and send our kisses to heaven and wish Papa a Happy Happy Birthday! We know that he will get our kisses and wishes and send some back our way because we know that he loves us and misses us too.

Have a great day and if your Grandpa or Grandma are reachable by phone - call them and wish them a good day today and if they are not blow them a kiss and for more Tuesday Tributes be sure to visit Angie  at her place 


11 comments:

monica said...

Oh my gosh...I am bawling here at work. Why did you have to do that to me? I miss papa so much - you did a great job describing him.

monica said...

Hey on another subject: I don't know if you saw this post but she is asking about homeschooling - thought you could comment on that for her - Here's her blog:

http://4littlemen.blogspot.com/

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, it's so hard missing those we love. He sounds like a wonderful man. What a wonderful tribute.

Momma@Live. Laugh. Pull your hair out said...

I still have one Papa left and make sure I appreciate every second with him. I cant imagine my life without him.

((hugs))

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...

Wow that was powerful. What a beautiful tribute.

T Rex Mom said...

He sounds like such an amazing person. What a beautiful tribute! It sounds like he really touched the lives of so many he encountered.

Thanks for stopping by T Rex Mom and Dad Tales.

TuTu's Bliss said...

A kind tribute and a sweet picture. What a great smile and happy eyes. I wish my grandparents had a chance to hold my princesses. Hugs, Jen

Martin Family said...

Well Amy you have tears in my eyes right now. Your Papa truly was a remarkable man. Thank you for sharing his birthday with all of us.
Luv-Treva

debi9kids said...

OMGosh! What a sweet and beautiful tribute to your Papa.
Thank you for sharing about such a lovely man.
Blessings.

Jenni said...

Oh. :*) That was a lovely tribute! Happy Birthday, Papa.

Lula! said...

What a precious tribute to your Papa. I so enjoyed reading this.

Our Mission

To have a safe place where you can air all your mama drama without judgement, cause we know you don't always have the kids in bed by 7 and make creme brulee for dessert every night.

Oh yeah.........

and if you do, you're on the wrong blog!